HISTORY Haus Zauberflöte | Offenburg

This historic Grade II listed building, “Haus Zauberflöte” in Offenburg, was completely renovated in 2014 and now offers 8 exclusive hotel rooms, a Restaurant, Cafe & Bar, and Free Wi-Fi throughout the house. The hotel rooms have been individually designed in collaboration with international artists.

Historische Postkarte vom Lindenplatz in Offenburg Badische Schankerlaubnis für die Zauberflöte von 1888

The hotel rooms have been individually designed in collaboration with international artists.

THE HISTORY OF THE HAUS ZAUBERFLÖTE:

1829
The Offenburg orphans Magistrate, Judge Martin Dillinger, opens the "Cafe Zauberflöte" at Schwabenhaustor in Langestraße

1850
Son William Dillinger applys for a license for the restoration of the “ Haus Zauberflöte"

1872
The “Haus Zauberflöte" in the Ritterstraße is destroyed by fire. Franz Xaver Bühler opens the new “Haus Zauberflöte” at the Lindenplatz.

1874-1875
The Cold hole men's society begins meeting in the restaurant of the “Haus Zauberflöte”

1885
Wainwright Franz Link and wife Christine take over management of the “Haus Zauberflöte”

1893
Franz Link leases the inn “Zauberflöte” to Karl Kern


1907
Official opening of the new “Zauberflöte” steel bridge.

1921
Son Artur core, a trained chef, and his wife Berta take over the “Haus Zauberflöte”.

1923
Ernest Hemingway worked as a post-war reporter for the "Toronto Star" in Offenburg.

1939
The “ Haus Zauberflöte" is the once again the regular meeting place of the Cold hole Society

1940
Albert core, brother-in-law of “Haus Zauberflöte” host Artur core was a Jehovah's Witness and died in the concentration camp at Mauthausen, a memorial stone in front of the "Haus Zauberflöte" is his memorial.

1942
Artur core sold the inn to Josef & Anna Hug.

1944
The cold hole Society celebrates its 80th anniversary in The “ Haus Zauberflöte ”.

1945
The "Haus Zauberflöte" is damaged by artillery fire shortly before the April 15th invasion of the French army.

1945-1946
The French garrison occupies rooms next to the Haus Zauberflöte.

1946
The first Offenburg Youth centre opens In the hall of the "Haus Zauberflöte".

1948-1959
The large room in the Haus Zauberflöte serves as a venue for the Watchtower Society, the German Peace Society, the German federal government and local groups of the SPD and KPD.

1952
Josef Hug receives the approval of the conversion of his tavern into an inn and is permitted to offer 4 hotel rooms for bed and breakfasts.

1957
Josef Hug's Son in-law Johann Burckhardt and wife Gertrud take over management of the "Haus Zauberflöte".

1967
The new, and one of the first beverage dispensing systems for Coca-Cola, is inspected by the police.


1969
The “House Zauberflöte” is renovated, reopening with color TV, selected beers and French cuisine

1974
The old steel "Zauberflöte bridge" is replaced by a pre-stressed concrete bridge

1977
The small houses on the Lindenplatz, opposite the Haus Zauberflöte, are demolished to make place for the department store "Hertie", now "Karstadt"

1985
The facade of the "Haus Zauberflöte" is redesigned

2003
Willi Schöllmann takes over management of the hall and horticulture of the Haus Zauberflöte and opens the restaurant " Bombay"

2014
Willi Schöllmann buys the "Haus Zauberflöte" and after a complete renovation opens a hotel and restaurant with garden, wine cellar and Cafe.